I received my tutor’s feedback for assignment 4 on 31 July, but have been waiting for some clarification before writing this post. My impression from the feedback was that there was a concern that I wasn’t fully engaged in the course, but this was based purely on the short pdf extract of my blog post directly related to the assignment. I sent an additional pdf of the the other work and research from part and received a positive message about my level of engagement. Anyway lesson learnt that my tutor doesn’t like to look online and I should send a pdf of all my latest blog material!
Putting this aside, the feedback for assignment 4 came with a raft of suggestions for additional research to undertake and reflect upon before reconsidering the assignment and reshooting it. I summarise this feedback here:
- Engage with ‘process-led enquiry’ – iterative engagement with practice and theory until full potential of subject / project is explored.
- Additional research into related photographic works (including Adam’s Moonrise and Susan Derges’, Kevin Newark’s images related to the moon/celestial bodies. Also, consider photographers who have photographed fruit: Sam Tayor-Wood, Ori Gersht, Harold Edgerton (meets Dutch still lives)
- Consider related art works – Dutch still lives, learning about Chiaroscuro and Vanitas (Holbein referenced as essential).
- Invest in some solid books for research – history of photography, photography now, Time and photography – David Green.
- Look regularly at photography magazines/blogs for reference
This is a substantial amount of work, but I appreciate the useful guidance as I familiarise myself with studying an art subject!
Tutor’s feedback is attached here: andrew_fitzgibbon_assignment_4_feedback